Join us—Fall Workday 2012
Posted on September 26, 2012 by Susan
On Saturday, November 3, please join us in the park on what we hope will be a beautiful, cool fall morning to give Brentwood Park a little TLC. Since the fall of 2009, Friends of Brentwood Park has hosted semi-annual community workdays in the park, with each workday building on the success of the previous workdays.
Our neighborhood park adopter group continues to work closely with Austin Parks and Recreation and the Austin Parks Foundation to make Brentwood Park a more beautiful, clean and friendly neighborhood gathering place now and for the future. The most important component of the success equation is community participation and we hope to see that again on November 3rd.
Please come and give us just a couple of hours of time. The more folks who come, the bigger impact we can have and the more we impress upon PARD that this community loves its park. We promise you will have fun and maybe make a new friend or two!
Genuine Joe Coffeehouse will once again be providing hot coffee and we’ll have delicious breakfast tacos thanks to TacoDeli.
Each project will have a project leader to coordinate volunteer efforts. Here’s what we have planned:
* Volleyball Court – Clean up, border maintenance
* Park Sign Bed on Arroyo Seco – weeding, cleanup, tending the plantings
* Mulching Trees – We will be mulching the heritage trees on the south side of the park as well as the trees that were planted in 2010
* Sandbox area – get the sand back in the box; mulch nearby trees
All volunteers need to stop by the volunteer table at the pavilion to check-in.
Park along Arroyo Seco Street on the east side of the park.
The bathrooms at the pool will be open.
What to wear:
* Closed-toe shoes required!
* A hat, sunglasses and sunscreen are highly recommended.
* Long sleeves and long pants advised.
What to bring:
* A water bottle and a coffee mug – we’ll have water and coffee, but to keep waste down, bring your own fluids container(s).
* Work gloves
We need tools! If you are bringing tools please mark them clearly with your name and phone number so we can make sure all tools get back to their owners.
Tools we’ll need:
* Wheelbarrows (if you have, please bring! we never have enough)
* Rigid rakes for spreading mulch
* Weeding tools
* Garden forks
* Buckets and scrub brushes
To sign up, click on the Register Now button in the right sidebar. And, to help us provide our sponsors with an accurate count, please indicate the number of volunteers coming from your household.
Please pre-register!! It really helps us with planning.
Children must be accompanied by an adult who will work alongside them.
Rain date for this event: November 10th
If it’s cold, we’re working.
If it’s damp, we’re working.
If it’s raining more than a fine mist or sleeting or hailing, we’re not working.
IF WE DECIDE TO POSTPONE DUE TO THE WEATHER: we will send an email announcement to all registered participants plus the Brentwood and Crestview listservs and also posted on our Facebook page.
Thanks to all of you for your continued support and participation!